Tuesday, November 6, 2012

I am the typical pit bull owner

Recently there was a news story in my local community of a dog that got loose and over a period of time attacked three people. The owner is now being one of the first in the county to be charged under the Dog Attack Law. You can read the full story here. I am OK with her being charged and agree that the owner should be held responsible especially since her dog had a history of biting.

The thing that has me upset is the comments on the story. People are upset and calling it poor journalism because they did not mention it was a pit bull type dog. I completely disagree. I am SO thankful that finally a media source is not playing into the discrimination against pit bulls and that the breed has nothing to do with why this dog became aggressive.

The thing that really infuriated me though, was the comment about this behavior being typical of the kinds of people who choose to own a pit bull. Its straight out discrimination and its absurd. Some of the comments on there asked how we could possible own a dog that if it ever got out would just attack any dog or person it saw. All I could think was wow... Is this how people really think? How can someone honestly think that they are just these man eating machines or something? 

I understand that if you have never met a pit bull you might be scared of it. But the thought that some people wont even give them a chance and think EVERY pit bull will just attack anyone is amazing to me. How does that even seem logical? 

Anyways the point of this entry was to get the word out that I am the TYPICAL pit bull owner. I am a college graduate with a full time job that spends at least some time every day training and loving on my dog. 

Frederick is the TYPICAL pit bull who wants nothing more than to be loved on and to please you. He loves meeting new people and covering them in kisses. He is what the majority of pit bulls are really like. 

I am sorry for my rant tonight. The comments on the news article really upset me. I know I cant change everyone's mind about pit bulls and I know there will always be some people who just don't understand and don't care to, but my hope is that this blog will help to change at least a few minds about pit bulls. Maybe it will encourage you to meet one of these amazing animals. That is my hope, my dream. 

They can be messy 


and silly  
and love to snuggle


I hope you all have a wonderful night and as always comments are welcomed.

**UPDATE** Someone posted this link in the comments section today of the news article. I found the facts very helpful definitely some things I will bring up next time someone wants to tell me how dangerous pit bulls are. 

No comments:

Post a Comment